SPALDING TOWNSHIP These minutes are approved
POWERS, MICHIGAN 49874
March 20th, 2019 – 6:30 PM
The meeting was brought to order by Supervisor Moraska. The following Board members were present: Jim Moraska, Cherryl Mencinger, Jerry Bartnicki. David LeBoeuf, and Kevin LaBonte. Guests included: Jim Nowack, Dan Hammerberg, Rich Sexton, Paula Gruszynski and Tom Draze.
No public comment
APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA:
The motion was made by Kevin to approve the agenda with Jerry supporting. All in favor, Motion carried.
All bills are up to date. A motion was made to accept the Clerks Report by David and was seconded by Jim. David and Kevin looked over the expense statements. Minutes of the monthly meetings can be viewed on the Township website located at www.powers-spalding.org Motion approved.
Jerry gave the financial hand out showing the Township’s monthly balances and went over the report. A motion to accept the treasurer’s report was made by Cherryl and seconded by David. All in favor, Aye. Motion approved.
Both taverns and one grocery store in the township are current for March, no issues were reported.
FIRE REPORT/FIRE CHIEF & FIRE DEPT:
The Department responded to 7 calls costing $10,000 dollars in losses and spending at total of 7 hours and 18 minutes.
4 memos were submitted.
Subject: Memo #1Grants
The grant was to purchase/upgrade/replace the pump and engine on brush truck #4 for $4500.00. This is a 50/50 matching grant.
Dan ordered the pump through Vallen in Iron Mountain.
I have submitted the grant for the Engine #1 replacement in the amount of $350,000.00. If awarded our share will be $16,666.00.
No word on the award announcement.
Rich had applied for two Hannahville Grants for the fire department.
- The first grant was to replace the portable pump for truck #3 for a cost of $5000.00. This grant was funded. Rich has ordered the pump and it was delivered this past Monday. We are still waiting on one more fitting to be delivered.
Subject: Memo #2Purchase Request
The members present at the March business meeting voted to ask the board to purchase the following items:
- A sled to transport SCBA tanks on scene. We are looking at a sled such as used for ice fishing. This sled will be used to move empty and full SCBA air tanks from the scene to the air truck. In many cases there is not enough room to park the air truck close to the scene and transport of the cylinders is quite a distance. This should reduce the potential of slip, trips, and falls on winter fire scenes. The approximate cost is $50.00.
- Two Emergency Scene Ahead signs. These signs will be folding sign bases with a roll up sign to allow us to comply with the worker visibility rules for working on federally funded roadways. The approximate cost of each sign is approximately $350.00.
- A yellow arrow stick light to replace the light that isn’t working on Truck 5. We tried to fix the light however it is quite corroded and we are unable to get it to function properly. The approximate cost of the light and controller is $600.00.
Dan is asking permission to purchase the above items.
A motion was made to purchase these items by Kevin with Jerry seconding, motion carried.
Memo #3 Enbridge Grant Application
The members at the March business meeting recommended I ask permission to apply for an Enbridge Grant for the following items:
- Milwaukee cordless 18v chain saw $449.00
- Milwaukee cordless 18v 15 tool kit $1999.00
- 4 -Milwaukee cordless 18v light towers $549.00 each, total 2196.00
The grant total I would like to request is $4644.00 for the above items.
Dan is asking your permission to apply for the grant. There are no matching funds required. This equipment would be stored on truck 5 and be used on scenes and in the station.
A motion was made to apply for this Grant by Jim and seconded by Kevin. Motion carried.
Memo #4 Hannahville Grant
Dan is asking permission to apply for a Hannahville Grant to resubmit the grant we requested for small equipment and hand lights for truck 5 which was not awarded in September. Dan will be asking Rich if he could submit this grant with the Board’s permission. Jim made the motion to allow this with Cherryl seconding, motion carried.
- CEMETERY/PARK REPORT:
Nothing new at the Park or Cemetery.
No report was presented by John but Jim gave the highlights of our Board of Review and all went well.
Tom stated that the Department has been really busy.
Jim went to Road Commission and talked to them about LaBelle Road. The Road Commission was waiting for bids to come out. Jim stated that the residents are in close communication with us on this subject. Stay tuned….
LED STREET LIGHTS
Everything is all set, all we have to do now is pay the bill, it’s due in May.
Paula came to our Board meeting to present our Township with a $2000.00 check to apply to our playground equipment. She gave a presentation explaining what the M&M Community Foundation does for the Tri County Community, and when to apply for Grants. Thank You Paula and the M&M Community Foundation for your most generous Grant for our playground equipment.
PLAY GROUND REPORT GRANTS RECEIVED
Jim stated all the amounts that have been given to the Township for our Playground equipment. Kevin LaBonte presented the Board a check for $5000.00 from the Normenco Sportsmen Club and David LeBouef also presented the Board a check for $5000.00 from the Powers/Spalding Lions Club. So far we have collected $15000.00 from Spalding Township, Hannahville Community two $5000.00 Grants, Cuppad $5000.00, Weyerhouser $4000.00, M&M Community Foundation $2000.00, Post 244 $1000.00, Aquila Resources $500.00, Superior Devil Dogs Biker Club $200.00. We still have more grants that we are applying for. The estimated cost of the equipment is $64,000.00.
Copies of our end of year budget were given to the Board. The overage so far this year is from the fire Dept Insurance and electric bill, water bill and fire dept software. And new construction costs. All will have to be amended before end of the month. A motion was made by David and seconded by Jerry to amend the budget.
MOTION TO PAY THE BILLS (ROLL CALL VOTE)
Motion was made to pay the bills by Kevin and seconded by David. Motion approved. Roll Call Vote: Jim, yes, Cherryl, yes, Jerry, yes, David, yes. Kevin, yes. Motion approved.
ANY OTHER COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS FOR THE GOOD OF THE TOWNSHIP
A motion was made to adjourn by David with Cherryl seconding. Meeting adjourned at 7:55 P.M. CST
Respectfully submitted, Cherryl Mencinger, Township Clerk